Spider veins and varicose veins are two different types of medical conditions that occur because of venous insufficiency. These conditions may make an individual self-conscious and may also cause pain and discomfort. Sclerotherapy is an effective treatment that can be used to improve the appearance of these unwanted veins.
It is a relatively safe treatment that does not even require anesthesia. Many doctors recommend this treatment to eliminate spider veins, and many patients choose this treatment for cosmetic reasons.
You can also prevent these conditions from getting worse by making some lifestyle and diet changes. Based on the condition of veins and your health, your healthcare provider will recommend this or any other treatment. With a sclerotherapy treatment, a chemical is injected into the vein. Sometimes, the vein can be seen fading instantly during this process. In this blog, we have answered some of the common queries related to sclerotherapy.
Is it safe?
It is safer and minimally invasive compared to surgery. Studies have shown that up to 80% of injected veins can get eliminated in each session. Unfortunately, just under 10% of people suffering from these conditions may not respond to this treatment. In this situation, your healthcare provider may recommend another effective vein treatment if a few sclerotherapy sessions have not resolved the problem.
Does it hurt?
A needle or injection is required for this treatment. Other than that, it may lead to some discomfort and pain, which may go away in a few days or weeks. The veins will not reappear, and you will be able to achieve active results with a few sessions. In some cases, people may experience minor pain, cramping, burning, and stinging in the injected area.
What is the recovery time?
The treatment may cause mild pain, but it’s typically mild. You will be able to walk immediately after getting the treatment. Patients can usually resume their daily activities the same day without any hassle. Therefore, it can be inferred that it will not affect your daily life. In a few cases, mild pain and bruising may occur, which will heal in some time.
Be sure to keep in mind that the larger veins will take a longer time to respond than the smaller spider veins. Therefore, you should not worry about the effectiveness of the treatment if the veins do not disappear right away. This procedure works for the majority of patients after multiple sessions.
There are certain things that you should keep in mind before and after your treatment. Heeding this advice will help in improving the effectiveness and increase the success rate of sclerotherapy.
Before the treatment, here are certain things that you should consider to optimize your results:
You should limit sun exposure at least one month before the treatment.
- On the day of the treatment, you should avoid using moisturizers.
- You should not use lotion or shave before getting the treatment.
- You should consider wearing loose or comfortable shorts on the day of the procedure.
- You should avoid drinking coffee a few hours before the treatment.
- You must inform your doctor about the current medications you are taking. Tell them about any supplements, vitamins, and over-the-counter medications in addition to prescription medications.
- Apart from these, you should have a pair of compression stockings on the day of the treatment. Your doctor will let you know if they can be provided in the clinic or must be purchased elsewhere.
If you have any questions or concerns, you must ask your medical health care provider before the treatment. Get all your queries solved before proceeding with sclerotherapy or any procedure.
After this treatment procedure, you should consider doing the following to optimize the results:
You should avoid sun exposure and wear sunscreen for a whole month after the treatment.
- As mentioned above, you will be able to walk immediately after the treatment. Moving your legs will also help prevent the formation of blood clots.
- Wear compression stockings or bandages for about two weeks. You can remove stockings before bathing or while sleeping.
- Avoid performing strenuous exercises such as weightlifting, jogging, and jumping for at least three weeks.
- Keep an eye on the redness and bruising. If it worsens, consult your doctor.
- Avoid taking hot showers and baths.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications. You can ask your healthcare provider about the specific medications you should avoid.
Follow this before-and-after sclerotherapy guide to reduce the risks of complications. If you have any other questions regarding the treatment, you may want to look for a specialist for vein treatment in Philadelphia. The experts will evaluate your medical condition and suggest the appropriate treatment according to your condition.